Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Happy Memories Jar

If I asked you to tell me some of the best memories you have of this year, I bet most of them would be about some major event, such as parties, travelling, new relationships. How about if I asked you to tell me all the bad memories you have of this year? It's a lot easier, right? All those times you messed up, when you did the wrong thing, when you should've done this instead of that. And it feels like you haven't done anything productive this year, that you didn't do all the things you planned. An awful year, wasn't it? I'm sure it wasn't. We just tend to remember the bad things more than the good things. I'm sure there's been a thousand little amazing things that have happened, we just don't remember them because the tiny bad things always seems so much bigger.

So I decided to do a memory jar, and what better time to do that than just in time for the New Year? So the idea is that every time something good happens, you write it on a piece of paper and put in the jar. Then at the end of the year, or whenever you're feeling down, you can go through them and be reminded of all the good things that have happened. I've decided not to make any big fancy New Year's resolutions this year, just simple "be more positive" and "don't waste too much time on social media" and the "Don't hesitate too much and let amazing moments slip away" that I wrote about in a previous blog post. And seeing all the happy things and writing them down is a great way to be more positive, because you're reminded that they do exist!

So I got a jar, some pens, ribbon, scissors, post-it notes and colourful origami paper, glue, tape and glittery stars.





I started with the little sign/tag/whatever you call it. I cut a rectangular piece out of the origami paper, then a smaller one out of a Post-It note and glued them together. Wrote "Happy Memories" and added some cute stars! Then I simply taped it on the jar by the corners.





I decorated the lid by placing the paper on the lid and then tracing it along the edge to know where to cut it.



Then I added a silver bow and a red ribbon round the bottom.



I also added some stars on the lid. Finished!





This is just how I made it, if you decide to make one you can decorate it however you want, the possibilities are endless! If you decide to make one please let me know in the comments, and I'd love to see a picture of it! Anyway, in case this is the last post I make this year, Happy New Year! ♥

Xx,
Mary


7 comments:

  1. I didn't think about that... it does make sense, I'll keep that in mind! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually started doing this last year! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to keep up with it because I had it hidden in my room because I was afraid someone might go through it. Just make sure you don't forget it! This is truly a darling idea! Great post, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I tend to forget a lot of projects i start too, I'm going to try not to forget this one though! thank you ♥

      Delete
  3. This seems like such a great idea x

    http://itscaitlinsblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xx And yeah it was really fun to make :)

      Delete
  4. the jar is so adorable!:)
    great post dear!
    added you on g+ , I am looking forward to ur next posts

    Konstantina | THE GIRL WITH THE DREAMCATCHER TATTOO
    ( IG : @Konstantina.A )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much xxx I followed you on ig! :)

      Delete